Monday 13 August 2007

Lanport league round 4

When the league matches are on the river I am out of bed on the morning of the match bright eyed and bushy tailed, really looking forward to the day ahead. With todays match at Stathe it is really just going through the motions. I really do not want to be there.But be there I must so its off to the Arms for the draw and another run in with those Amigos. They are really up for this one as they historically do well here and had pulled 4 points on us last time out. I am so out of touch with this venue I have little or no confidence in what I am doing here. My only hope is an end peg somewhere and I may even cock that up. The draw I really fancy is E8 a nice short walk and the chance of lumps or hemp fish. God really is on my side this year and to my utter amazement my 40 to 1 shot E8 is thrust into my hand by skipper Shaun. I did at first suspect a wind up as I have seen this stunt pulled before by duplicating the ticket of the flyer and handing one to the entire team. But no I really have drawn E8 , end peg of the match so I gave the ticket a tender kiss and set off for Stathe .Part of what makes this peg a flier is that not only is it end peg but it runs into a thick weed bed which extends some 30 metres to the right. Also because of easy access it gets fished and sees bait regularly unlike many other areas. I set up a pole and a whip with the intention of fishing 2/3rds across on choppie worm and inside on the hemp. Just after the off I am joined by an old mate , Barking Brian Read . Now Brian is kindly going to fish the next round for us as Russ and Shaun are on holiday. Brian is without doubt the most naturally talented angler I have ever met. He is superb technically but his watercraft and ability to read the water is even better. He lay down behind me for a while and chatting to him is always fascinating. He also said I drew better than Billy the Kid and Rolf Harris and had better win from here.! As far as the match went I bullied 4 good bream +skimmers and a few hemp fish to win with 9kilos 170 grms .I lost 1 in the weed plus a foulhooked fish at the net. The few hemp fish I just caught while resting the other line.I am fairly sure that every other angler would have won off my peg so it is almost embarrasing. I just seem to be rolling in bream slime and pools money at the moment. Second in section was Mark Hollister who was next to me and nicked a bream while I wasn't looking.I did not walk with the scales this time because a group of bullocks seemed too interested in my kit, so I do not know who was third. Team wise it was a good day for us. Russ again coming up trumps with 2nd individual and the Chief a handy 7 points. Despite poor Vince having a nightmare 2 pointer we finished 2nd on the day with 32 points.The Amigos were close to meltdown and finished very low down, saved only by Chris Sandfords section win. I have never known an angler quite like Chris , something odd seems to happen to him every time he fishes. He once battered me at Stathe from the next peg fishing a waggler all over the swim while everyone else was fishing and feeding tight on the pole. Today a cow jumped into the water near him and was there for ages whislt a herd from the far bank stampeded over to look at it. This sort of thing doesn't seem to faze Chris as with all this going on he caught 4+ kilos of small fish despite the attention of a pike as well. If ever the space shuttle disappears from the radar it will almost certainly land in his swim. Another angler to mention is Steve Bishop of Team Focus, he fished a brilliant match ! Nearly 6 kilos of roach! Magic! Another thing to mention , an excellent angler like Al (puppy ) Dunn who was last in section. Thats Stathe !! Its a lottery, get lucky!

No comments: