Monday 27 August 2007

pont samoel

Most villages in France seem to have their plan d' eau or little lake. My adopted village of Silfiac is no exception and has the beautiful lake of Pont Samoel. The embarrasing thing is that each time I fish there I catch very little . This , despite tales of huge tench and perch which in fact are true and supported by photos by the locals . On one of our trips Vince Stuckey had a good tench of nearly 3 kilos. However when I decide to have a go it always seems to end in disaster. I have actually blanked here once while fishing the dam wall and a couple of years ago I lost a roach that I estimated to be not far short of 2 lbs. The lake is as picturesque as could be imagined but the water is gin clear and shallow at the top end. It deepens towards the dam but I am struggling to find 2ft of water in the swim I have chosen. I fished the waggler at around 25 metres but struggled to feed accurately as the wind was northwesterly and in my face . Despite this I was hopeful that roach and maybe one of those elusive tench would come my way. The sun was strong and combined with the clear water I soon got the feeling that again it just was not going to happen . I did catch the odd rudd and roach but nothing of any size and was unable to put 2 bites together. In this situation I was not too hard on myself because I was only here due to the fact that it was convenient as I had such little time. Because the fishing was so poor my mind began to wander towards the final round of the Langport league. I do not really think that we can overcome the leading teams to win the league but the KO Cup might just be a possibility , should we draw well and fish well on the day. Also in my thoughts is whether or not I should try to influence team tactics or with my form on Stathe keep my mouth shut. Either way I am grateful to the Chief in particular because without his encouragement and bullying I am sure I would have given up matchfishing last year, his enthusiam has helped a lot and although he never mentions Chris I know he is aware that I struggle to be "up for it " much of the time. We , of course , must always be aware that the sex and glamour is a big part of matchfishing's attraction , the hedonistic partying and the guppies. How can we lead normal lives with the kind of adulation we recieve. Only this week " Girlie Tarts " magazine have be demanding that the Terminators should be their Calander Men for 2008 whether we win the cup or not! The magazine's angling correspondent "Sizzling Suzzana " wishes to talk to the team at sunset on the Stathe drain. See you there next week.

No comments: