Thursday 11 October 2007

pontoir sept 07

After the disappointment of Callac my next chance to fish would only be a few hours long because of slipping behind the work schedule and wanting to watch some rugby. With this in mind I decided on Pontoir which is the Plan d'eau for the nearby town of Cleguerec. I have fished it years ago but without much success, just a few small roach & rudd if my memory is ok. The venue is about 8 acres of water and includes well kept leisure and picnic facilities. A road runs alongside one bank so access is easy. On this side the grass bank is reinforced with small boulders. There are two islands, again reinforced with boulders, quite uniqiue in some ways. Also the lake is tree lined so I needed to be careful where I set up in relation not just to these trees but to the shadows they cast. In open water I could see a black tip best so I set up a 4 x 12 jolly
with 8 's and 10's strung out. The water was coloured and about 2 metres deep at 10 metres. I cupped in a little groundbait laced with caster and began on red maggot.After just 10mins the float was under and I was into my first roach of around 6 ozs. 3 more roach of similar size followed fairly quickly then things dried up a bit , so as I'd been feeding caster I decided to try one on the hook. Almost immediately I was into a much better stamp of roach with fish between 8 to 14 ozs coming regularly.For just a short while it was one a go but bit by bit bites faded away and I finished this 2 1/2 hr session with 26 roach which I estimated would have gone around 15lbs. A lovely evenings fishing as all the fish where scale perfect. The only problem with this venue is that on beautiful evenings such as this, half the little town wants to dog walk, stroll or jog around it which doesn't help the fishing. I am also suspicious that one of the more beautiful joggers may have been the angling correspondent for Femmes Fantastique et Feminine magazine, or even a secret agent for the Amigos. I think I translated correctly when she explained that French womanhood had no interest in those poncy rugby stars but dreamed only of meeting a Terminator.

No comments: