Saturday 6 October 2007

plan d'eau Callac

Whenever we are in Brittany I always have to try and consider HG and this visit, also her mum Milly. Milly is not like mothers in law are supposed to be, she is a real love and has a sense of humour. Her passion is gardening and as HG and I share that passion, when we spotted a plant sale at a town called Callac we were on our way. The bad news was that we arrived a couple of hours too early so had some time to kill. The people in the small bar we visited were very friendly but its difficult to sit drinking coffee for 2 hours so we decided on a spin. Purely by chance we stumbled upon the town's Plan d'eau and it looked truly magnificent. There really is so much fishing to be had in Brittany that it is easy to become blase about new venues but this one really did look good. I would guess around 15 to 20 acres with excellent access , tree lined with a path going all the way round. It was an interesting enough venue to make me return a couple of days later. It was a drive of nearly an hour but I was fairly excited about this one. I chose a swim on the car park side and at 11 metres had about 2.5 metres depth, I mixed a little groundbait laced with caster and fed two orange sized balls. It didn't suprise me to get a bite first put in but I pulled out of a small roach.What did suprise me was that it was an hour before I got my next bite , blank avoided, but just a tiny roach . By this time a family arrived with an extremely ugly hunting dog and the whole family took turns to encourage or chastise this wretched creature at the top of their voices which completely got on my nerves. This and the fact that the fish were not co operating made for a hugely dissapointing afternoon. The final tally of 4 roach and 2 rudd was all I could muster, but I still think this venue has potential and I may have caught it on an off day.

No comments: