Tuesday 4 September 2007

Langport league rd 6

Langport league round 6 and its down to the Langport Arms for the final showdown . The Terminators lie 3 rd in the league and are in the ko final vs Yeovil Nomads ( A team I used to fish for in the Drennan League and have many happy memories of) We fought our way through the paparazzi and the adoring guppies for the draw. But first I had the unhappy task of having to make a formal complaint about the Trotters . 6 matches and they have not picked Del Boy , Rodney or uncle Albert once and I am sure you will agree that if they are prepared to travel from Peckham they should get to fish! Mind one or two anglers have said they are sure Trigger and Boycy have been in their sections. At the draw Shaun handed me peg E4 which was pretty much where I did not want to be , but in truth I blew the top individual place last match so I felt fairly indifferent about it. Looking around the rest of our draw there was not much comfort there either , with no end pegs. The only consolation was that the Nomads had not drawn that well either. There is no doubt in my mind that Nomads are a better side than us but anything can happen on the day. With this in mind it was always my intention to fish in a positive manner . I fished for bream and tench for the first 2 hours , worm and caster over chopped worm produced just a flicker of hope with a couple of skimmers early on , but they just were not the stamp fish I was looking for. I also lost a 10 oz fish due to fishing too heavy an elastic .The big fish or two that I was looking for never came and the only bream to show came to Nick Collins which was enough to win the section and 2nd in the match. second in section from the end peg was Steve Lovell with 2 kilos+ of small fish followed by Ashley Tomkins of Focus with just short of 2 kilos. I weighed 1 kilo exactly and was beaten by Danny Blunn of the Nomads by just 90 grams. I had not enjoyed my match but thats how matchfishing is.
The venue had again fished poorly with quite a few weights under a kilo . But at least the weather was a bit better. I did beat my Amigo , Mark Vigar , but the bottom 4 in the section were all in a row so I had to make do with 4 pts. Maybe if I had fished for small fish from 10 o clock a couple more pts could have come my way but I had taken the positive route and it had not worked. Congratulations to Team Focus on winning the league and unlucky Nomads who lost by a single point . Nomads beat us easily in the knockout and no compaints they were far the better team . We really only had a punchers chance if the big fish fed on the day .Dodge Duval found a few big fish to win with 4 kilos + and odd tench where caught in B section but it was a pretty wretched match .Nigel Easton won the individual and very much deserved to as he had no real flier pegs. The Terminators finished a creditable 3rd and bets and bragging rights over the Amigos are secure this year. On a personal note I enjoyed the series but I still struggle to get the enthusiasm I used to. Thanks to the organisers and the sponsors for a superbly run series and to all the other competitors whose company I have enjoyed. Hope to see you all next year.

No comments: